Thursday, July 30, 2015

Stuff to Think About . . .

I've been meaning to post all summer, particularly with two or three interesting Supreme Court cases coming down, but I have not been able to get enough time to put a good post together. So much to discuss, so little time.

So now that I'm off the Worldview Academy circuit, I thought I'd post a quick rundown of what I'm thinking about.

1. The ridiculous Obergefell decision that redefines marriage without regard to law or reason. There is a ton of commentary out there, and you've probably read it all, but I plan a separate post later on the topic, after I finish my piece for Relay online journal on that topic.

2. The horrific Planned Parenthood expose. Thank God for these activists who are making it harder to stay accustomed to the status quo of millions of aborted babies. The barbaric practices and coarse attitudes reflected in the videos merely highlight the horror of more than 50 million lives lost since 1973. Reports like these and advances in medical technology are making it harder and harder to deny that an abortion is an immoral and horrifying act. See the videos linked here -- on CNN! collected here.

3. My friend Bill Jack has tried to expose the hypocrisy of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission by asking LGBT-friendly bakeries to bake cakes with Bible verses on them. My latest podcast is a discussion with Bill about secularism, liberty, cakes, and truth. Here is the podcast:


4. Finally, in talking to about 750 high-school aged students this summer, I have my usual concerns about the cultural shifts we're seeing. Here are my top four this year:

#1-- Moral Relativism. This one never dies; it just gets worse. The idea that morality is an "opinion," with which religious faith can be bundled as part of "private lives" is deadly to a society. And we have it in spades. and worse and worse in the younger generation. There are such things as "moral facts" and we don't know it anymore. See this helpful NYT piece.

#2-- Sexual confusion and "tolerance" piled upon an already over-sexualized culture. Too much to say about this, but I'm sure you're following along on this. The Supreme Court has made it much worse, of course, but it's not only its fault.

#3-- Unthinking Cultural Consumption instead of Cultural Engagement. Our loves and desires for the wrong stuff will snuff out virtue long before tyranny will.

#4-- The decline of language and logic. "Gay." "Social Justice." "Liberty." "Love is Love."

Happy to discuss, and I look forward to gathering on Wednesday mornings again . . . maybe beginning August 12?

No comments:

Post a Comment