Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Extracurricular Offer

After Christmas (that is, on Epiphany, January 6) through the end of the spring semester, I'll be discussing with my high school literature students ten really great works of fiction (Six novels and four short stories). I want to offer the opportunity to follow along to any Wednesday men who are interested in one or more-- or even all ten-- works.

I started teaching the homeschool literature class when my oldest son was a ninth grader (about 12 years ago) because there were so many books and so little time-- and because I needed the discipline of having to teach in order to make myself read the classic works of fiction I wanted to read.

For each book, I provide a short introduction, some study questions, and then an in-class discussion among the students.

I want to offer the introduction, the study questions, the accountability to read, and perhaps a discussion-- either on-line or ad hoc-- for those men interested. I'm reading and teaching the books anyway. If you're interested, follow along. More information to follow. This won't be part of what we do on Wednesday mornings, but just a chance to read some really great stuff to enrich our lives!

Here is the reading schedule for those interested:

Dates
Book
Jan 6-27

Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Jan 28-Feb 10
G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday

Feb 10-17

James Joyce, The Dead, from “Dubliners”

Feb 17-Mar 3

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Mar 3-17
Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Mar 24-31
George Orwell, Animal Farm

April 7-14
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

April 14-28
Flannery O’Connor, A Good Man is Hard to Find, Everything that Rises Must Converge, Revelation (short stories)



2 comments:

  1. Good morning -- Professor,

    I am planning to try to read along this semester; thank you for the encouragement.

    A quick first question -- It has been a long time since I have read Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which is alluded to in the Huckleberry Finn Intro as a prequel. In reading other recommendations, there seems to be mixed reviews (with most being 'familiarity will help, but details are not required') as to whether reading Tom Sawyer recently is an important aspect of reading Huckleberry Finn.

    Just interested in your thoughts...

    Thanks and continue to enjoy the 12 Days of Christmas!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rose, I am so glad you will be enjoying Huck Finn with us! And there is no need to have read Tom Sawyer.

    ReplyDelete