I don't have a clue how many of you are actually checking the blog and tied in, but I'd like to begin the discussion. I'll send these by email as well to get folks acclimated to checking, but please check in regularly and comment to the posts as we talk through this over the next two weeks.
My plan is to post at least 3 times a week between now and August 1, with the hope that the discussion will continue in the comment sections. When a new post is up, feel free to continue to post your thoughts in the comment sections of the old posts, so that discussion can continue on a variety of topics at once.
By the way, I really enjoyed discussing the book with Jim Webb when I was in Naples Saturday (that's right, my book and I made the trek from Rocklin, CA to Naples, FL to Portland, OR in the space of two days just so I could get Jim's thoughts on The Great Divorce. It was well worth it!)
Talking with Jim reminded me that the topic I want to start with is: What images or ideas stood out for you most significantly as you read?
Post your comments and thoughts below. And remember, it's not a problem if you don't understand all that he's trying to do in this odd book-- that's why we're discussing it!
Question for discussion in the comment section below:
What images or ideas stood out for you most significantly as you read the book?
The image that stands out most to me is the absolute freedom of the bright spirits when they talk about moving "up" into the mountains-- not constrained by jealousy or pride or any that keeps them from being grace-filled to the blind, ghostly visitors. They don't have guilt or shame even about the stuff that the ghosts "have" on them.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a neat picture of grace and freedom.
Just one of the things that stood out to me was continual battle each Ghost had with Self. The Ghost struggle with Self and their desire to remain the same and live in their condition never willing to put off self but choosing to live in Hell vs putting off that which bound them and kept them from the joy of Heaven. On the contrary the Bright or Solid Spirits had moved past Self in their journey toward the mountain.
ReplyDeleteI liked the quote from a Bright One "We know nothing of religion here: we think only of Christ"
ReplyDeleteGet caught up in stuff of life I miss the point
Jeff that statement was truly profound and followed with another gem "We know nothing of speculation here" Come and see. I will bring you to Eternal Fact. The Father of all fact-hood! pg 45
ReplyDelete